This is a list of collaborative consumption initiatives that are available in Australia, particularly ones that contribute to sustainability in some way. Get in touch if you’ve got any to add to the list.
Product service systems
- GoGet – car sharing service
- GreenShareCar – car sharing service
- Flexicar – car sharing service
- Drive My Car rentals – peer-to-peer car rentals
- Car Next Door – peer-to-peer car rentals
- Melbourne Bike Share – bike sharing around Melbourne
- Coseats – ride sharing around Australia
- Jayride – ride sharing, car pooling and other transport
- Quickflix – movie library by post and download
- Open Shed – peer-to-peer rental at neighbourhood scale
- Friends with Things – neighbourhood rental and sharing
- Airwotever – online peer-to-peer rental marketplace
- MeeMeep – delivery services
- Transfercar – rental car relocation
- MyCarPooling – car pooling service
- La Mule – ride sharing
- Brunswick Tool Library – too lending.
- Gumtree – online marketplace
- Freecycle – gifting and reuse
- Freally – gifting and reuse
- Clothing Exchange – clothing swaps online and through physical events
- Garage Sale Trail – coordinated garage sales
- Ziilch – gifting and reuse
- eBay – online marketplace
- Craigslist – online classifieds
- Gomi – help others find stuff they need on the street
- Givit – matching those in need with those willing to give
- Tushare – peer-to-peer giving and reuse
- Hireoo – event hire marketplace
- Modsie – secondhand luxury marketplace
- RipeNearMe – sharing local food harvests.
- Vibewire Enterprise Hub – co-working space
- Airbnb – peer-to-peer travel
- Pozible – crowdfunding creative projects and ideas
- Airtasker – running errands
- Hoprunners – running errands
- Occasional Butler – running errands
- SpaceOut – peer-to-peer storage
- Couch Surfing – peer-to-peer travel
- Land Share – sharing land for gardening
- Mama Bake – share cooking
- Community Exchange System – trade
- Mmmule – peer-to-peer delivery by travellers
- Pygg – peer-to-peer payments
- PopUp Brands – temporary space rental
- Arribaa – book experiences from locals
- Find a Car Park – peer-to-peer parking spaces
- ParkingMadeEasy – peer-to-peer parking spaces
- Parkhound – peer-to-peer parking spaces
- Society One – peer-to-peer lending
- Trusted Housesitters – linking up home-owners with house sitters
- Broads Abroad – peer-to-peer travel network for women
- Help Me With It – peer-to-peer helping
- Nomador – international house-sitting community
- Eat With Me – communal eating
- Stoways – peer-to-peer storage
- Madpaws – pet-sitting service
- PetCloud – pet-sitting service
- Storage Buck – peer-to-peer storage
- Your Home My Home – house sitting
- TempSwap – temporary home swapping
- Spacer – peer-to-peer space marketplace
- People Post – peer-to-peer parcel delivery
- Langademy – language exchange
- GiveGet – service exchange
- SwapNights – sharing service for accommodation operators.
Credits: Photo by avlxyz under Creative Commons licence.
Also add MeeMeep.com and findacarpark.com.au – both are Australian collaborative consumption companies
Hi there, just wondering if you want to include coseats.com in your list of collaborative consumption websites. coseats.com is Australia’s biggest ride sharing site.
Howdy! I just wish to give you a big thumbs up for the great info you’ve got right here on this post. I’ll be coming back to your
website for more soon.
Wow, quite a long list of great alternatives to buy buy. Lots of research to follow for me!!
Thank you , I will make sure friends know about it, spread the word!
Update: BorrOZ – neighbourhood scale borrowing AND
Swap it Baby – swap baby-related goods…
Do not seem to be up and running anymore.
Thanks Amy – yes, both of those have shut down, so I’ve removed them. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.
Definitely a thorough list! One more to add would be ParkingMadeEasy.com.au – a community marketplace for parking (garages, driveways etc). Nice work Chris.
Wow, I didn’t know there were so many options to save money and the planet.
I belong to an online yahoo group of recyclers. The only condition is that it is all given for free! freecycle_sydneycentral. They also have other freecyclers in other suburbs.
Great list- I keep an eye on this too, so feel free to pick at it to keep your own happy.
Parkhound is a new online marketplace that connects drivers looking for parking with local property owners who have spare parking spaces.
You can find out more at http://www.parkhound.com.au
Good list Chris – also worth noting: Peer-to-Peer lender SocietyOne is Australia’s only active and first fully compliant P2P lender where creditworthy borrowers looking for better rates are connected directly with investors looking for better returns.
HI Chris – I run PetHomeStay.com, peer to peer pet sitting & boarding. Thanks for compiling a great list!
Please add https://www.airwotever.com.au – online marketplace to help people find services and stuff they need in their local area.
I work with The Clothing Exchange and we’ve gone online now, too. We’d love it if you could update your list to mention that people can swap from the comfort of their homes!
I’ve used Flexicar and they are brilliant. I didn’t realize about bike sharing schemes. These sound pretty cool.
Hi. This is a great resource thank you. I’m the Founder of a new national charity that connects individuals – called Help Me With It. It could be added to your list also. http://www.helpmewithit.org.au
We would be happy to be featured in your list 🙂 – Nomador.com is a collaborative house-sitting platform, totally in the spirit of the sharing economy – and we established our headquarters in Sydney – this Franco-Aussie story is explained on our website 🙂
Hi Chris — if you’re updating the list, could you please add Eat With Me (www.eatwithme.net)? It’s a great way for people to meet up over something (mostly) everyone likes to do: eat!
We would love to have Hireoo.com added. It is a hire marketplace for event equipment & services.
Thank You !
hi great article,
I have recently come across a new site called Stoways (www.stoways.com). It is a peer to peer shared platform for storage. They connect those with unused storage space and connect them with those in need of extra storage space.
In my experience, Drive My Car Rentals do not return phone calls, which is a shame because they seem to have a good business model.
Martin – I find that hard to believe. I’ve used Drive My Car several time now and they seem to follow up generally same business day. If they a re busy it may be the day after. I just wish they also did shorter term rentals as well. But they are great if you want a car for at least 1 week.
Many thanks for sharing this. Really very helpful.
Great to see all of this consolidated in one list. The new revolutionary sharing economy enterprise is http://www.motize.com that pays people up to $1800 per year to advertise on their car rear window. Businesses in return get a cost effective, scalable, geographically focused and highly visible way to promote their brand and message to the community. The car owner then has an option to donate some of that money back to charity and receive a tax deductible donation receipt in return. Seems pretty easy and good for the community, good for car owners, good for business and good for charity.
What about http://www.lamule.com.au for carpooling ???
There’s also http://www.modsie.com.au for fashion products.
(99 Dresses has closed)
Great List, please add http://www.madpaws.com.au for peer to peer pet sitting, pet boarding provided by private pet sitters in your neighbourhood across Australia
Does anyone have handle on who can code-up a system like these. I’ve been looking and can’t find anyone who can do it.
Hi, you might add the Brunswick Tool Library to your list. It’s a non-profit lending tools to residents of Moreland and the nearby community.
What a great list, thanks for keeping it up to date.
Could you add http://www.storagebuck.com.au – Peer to Peer storage.
Hey I recently came across Storagebuck. http://www.storagebuck.com.au
Peer to peer storage sharing.
Great List Chris! Would you be able to add Spacer to your list?
Spacer is a marketplace for storage space connecting people WITH SPACE to people who NEED SPACE!
Thanks Robyn – I’ve added Spacer 🙂
Nice list! Here’s another one to add: http://www.peoplepost.com.au
P2p parcel delivery.
When I followed the YeeHire link, it went to a ‘New Recruitment website – Coming Soon’ page. I also had problems with the Kodocity and Freegler links, the former advertising website services and the latter reporting a server error.
Is this just me?
Hello EJ. Not just you – looks like those three sites are down and most likely defunct. The sharing economy is still a very dynamic place with lots of ventures starting up and some of them not taking off. It looks like those three haven’t proceeded. I’ve taken them down.
Thanks for the feedback!
Great find this, thanks Chris.
May want to add:
http://cameradrie.com <- Cameras and Photography equipment
http://usemybag.com.au <- Luxury designer bags
http://cubemarket.com.au <- Retail space sharing
Hi there – does anyone know the name of app offering fresh produce direct from home gardens in Melb – read about it ages ago, but too brain dead to remember name? Thanks Jen
Ripenearme – awesome!
Hello! I was wondering if you could add PetCloud: http://www.petcloud.com.au pet sitting and care services.
Please add Carhood http://www.carhood.com.au
A car sharing service at the airports. They offer free airport parking, a free car detail and you make money sharing your vehicle out whilst you are away.
Did you know airport parking in Australia is some of the most expensive in the world!!